785 Williams Street, #348 Longmeadow, Massachusetts 555-555-5555


The Top Ten Common Mold Mistakes

The cold season means moldy time for some homes The cold season is also mold time in many homes. The furry stains on walls and furniture should not be ignored, advises the environmental consultancy – and lists in a recent release the most common misconceptions about the health-endangering spores.

Mistake 1: A little bit of mold is not that bad.

That’s not true. Mold should be removed quickly because a high concentration of fungal spores in the air endangers health – fatigue, migraine, eczema, eye tears, sneezing, runny nose, cough and even bronchial asthma are possible. At the onset of mold, it is advised that you call a mold removal and cleanup specialist at the soonest.

Mistake 2: Mold disappears by itself.

Unfortunately no, the mold must always be removed. If the areas are small and have recently become superficially affected, mold can be removed by itself, for example, if a room corner or bathroom joints are affected. For large-scale and long-existing mold stains, it is better to let professionals work, because the mold is then also in the plaster, in the wall or in the soil and must be removed there.

Mistake 3: Vinegar helps against mold.

Normal household vinegar does not help against mold, it can even provide food for mold on calcareous grounds. The cheapest home remedy is to spray the mold with alcohol from the construction or drugstore retailers. Alternatives are 70 to 80 percent ethyl alcohol (alcohol spirit) or 3 to 6 percent hydrogen peroxide. Important: Ventilate well and wear protective gloves and goggles when using.

Mistake 4: Mold will not come back.

Mold can keep coming back because mold spores are always in the air – they find the appropriate moisture and nutrients on surfaces, then forms mold. Therefore it is important to fix the cause. There is a risk of mold, for example, on poorly insulated exterior walls with high humidity or if furniture is too close to external walls and the air behind it can not circulate. Even in poorly ventilated bathrooms and cold window niches can easily form mold.

Mistake 5: High humidity is healthy.

This is true from a humidity of 60 percent no longer, because then mold spores and mites can multiply well. At the same time high room temperature, the circulation is heavily loaded. The humidity should be between 30 and 55 percent. –

Mistake 6: Ventilate in rain and fog, bring moisture into the house.

This is not true in the cold season. Air can absorb moisture when heated. If the outside air is cooler than the inside air when ventilated, ventilation can reduce the humidity in the room, even when it is drizzling, raining, or foggy outside.

Mistake 7: Air in the summer, damp cellar dries out.

This is only true at night. When air is released in the summer during the day and warm air flows into cool cellars, this increases the humidity even further. Moist cellar therefore only air in the summer during the summer and controlled in the winter during the day.

Mistake 8: New, insulated and renovated houses do not mold.

Not correct! If there is too much humidity in an apartment for too long, it eventually starts to mold. In the new building, mold can be created after moving in through high building moisture. In addition, in new buildings and refurbished old buildings windows and joints are tight so that the ventilation habits must be changed and must be ventilated more often.

Mistake 9: Tilting keeps the mold away.

Exactly the opposite is the case! When tilting it takes a long time until the air is exchanged, at the same time the wall cools down strongly above the window – there is a risk of mold, because, on the cold wall, the humidity can condense. It is better during the heating season several times a day if necessary briefly cross-ventilate or pushes to exchange all the air as quickly as possible, but the walls do not cool too much.

Mistake 10: Just do not tell the landlord that your apartment has molds.

Large-scale mold or recurring mold despite airing can cause water damage or construction defects. Therefore, the property manager or the landlord must be informed immediately in writing. Important: Take photos and log the humidity several times a day. If there is no reaction, it is better to seek help from tenant law experts. –

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top